Extension of Stay & Change of Status
Non-Immigrant Visas - Business (B-1 Visa) & Tourist (B-2 Visa):
The B1/B2 visa is a tourist visa for short visits for business or tourism. Generally these visas are valid for five to ten years. However, the visa holder is only allowed to remain in the U.S. while the I-94 card, issued upon entry, remains valid, usually for three to twelve months. The visa holder may request an extension to remain in the U.S.
Please note: U.S. law requires that people holding nonimmigrant visas provide evidence that they do not intend to remain in the United States. Immigration officers determine eligibility on an individual basis on the merits of each case. Because each person's personal situation is different, people applying for the same visa or extension may be asked different questions and be required to submit different documents. The most important documents to present include documents proving ties to one's home country.
For Tourist Purposes:
A B1/B2 visa allows you to travel and remain in the United States as a tourist or for short visits, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature. If you plan to visit family or friends in the United States, their address should be provided.
For Business Purposes:
A B1/B2 visa allows you to travel and remain in the United States for a short period to conduct certain kinds of business or business-related activities. This can include, but is not limited to, visiting clients; conducting business meetings and negotiations; attending a conference; participating in a convention or trade show; settling an estate; installing, servicing, or repairing equipment for clients in the United States; certain speaking engagements; and some short term research for which the applicant does not receive pay.
This information does not constitute legal advice.
Consult an attorney for the analysis of your case.

Print | Sitemap
© Nogueira Morton